Owner of Ballandean Estate Wines
Angelo Puglisi is considered to be the founder and godfather of the modern Queensland wine industry and over the past 80 years his family business, Ballandean Estate, has been at the forefront of developing and promoting the Queensland wine industry.
Heading up the management of this family business, Angelo has an unsurpassable passion for the industry.
He is highly committed to organising charitable events. Opera in the Vineyard and Jazz in the Vineyard, held annually at Ballandean Estate Wines in partnership with the Rotary Club of Stanthorpe, have raised over one million dollars for Queensland charities.
During his career Angelo has been on the management committees of numerous industry associations.
He has been honoured for his passion and work in many ways including the following:
- Australia Day Ambassador, 2005–13
- guest of the Governor of Queensland to a lunch with her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh in Brisbane, 2011
- Dante Alighieri Society Award for the Diffusion of the Italian Language and Culture, 2006
- Bassett Award – awarded by the Queensland Wine Industry Association, 2003
- Queensland Great – awarded by the Queensland Government, 2003
- Queensland Wine Press Club Most Significant Contribution Queensland Wine Industry, 2001
- Queensland Tourism Yellow Pages Business Directions Award, 2001
- Centenary Medal, 2001
- Ambassador for the Wesley Hospital, 1999
- Tourism Ambassador Award, 1998
- Paul Harris Fellow Award for Community Service, 1995
- Churchill Fellowship to study winemaking in Europe, 1977.